The CMDB upgrade on the secondary server encountered an unexpected error:
Skipping import of record as defined in options [Fri Feb 06 00:32:01.983] INFO – Error importing record 9: ERROR (326): Required field cannot be blank
Root Cause appears to be that the Server Group ranking was inaccurate and only production server names exist in the Op Ranking form.
The corrective action is to log into the SQL Server database directly and delete all records from teh servgrp_board table. Then restart ARS Services on primary and secondary servers. When the servers come up, they will detect the Server-Group-Member: T and no records in the servgrp_board table and will automatically populate the values there. Once the values are present in the Op Ranking form, you can rank the server group operations accordingly.
At this point, you can re-run the upgrade for CMDB on the secondary server. It should not attempt to import anything and not give this error.
Set these settings to prevent subsequent server installs from performing any changes to the database.
BMC_LOADAPP_SKIP = TRUE
BMC_AR_LOADAPP_SKIP = TRUE
Windows XP / 2K3 / Vista / 2K8 / Win7 / Win8
Microsoft .NET Framework v2.0 or later
8 megabytes disk space / 800mhz processor (Screams at 2.4ghz)
512 megabytes RAM (2GB+ highly recommended)
1. After making sure you’ve met the system requirements above, visit http://www.fiddlertool.com/Fiddler2/version.asp and then install the most recent version of the Fiddler tool.
2. Start the Fiddler tool. Start -> All Programs -> Fiddler.
3. In the Fiddler window, make sure that Capture Traffic is selected on the File menu.
4. Now that the Fiddler trace file is running, initiate a Mid-tier session to reproduce the failing use case.
5. After the issue is reproduced, switch back to the HTTP Fiddler window.
6. On the File menu, click Capture Traffic to stop the data collection.
7. Click anywhere in the HTTP Sessions window.
8. On the File menu, click Save.
9. In the Save list, click Sessions, and then click as saz to save the HTTP Fiddler trace file.
10. Save the file to the folder that you want and send it in to us via this request.
We have often requested for API recording to differentiate between client side and AR Server (and Server-side workflow) problems. 8.1 SP2 Java API has a good usability feature – the ability to set the API recording directory path. This is especially useful on Windows systems where the logs get created in the <WINDOWS>/System32 directory.
Steps to enable API recording for 8.1 SP2 Midtier:
Please find attached arsys_api.xml
- Open the file and please correct the apiRecordingLogDir to something like the Tomcat Log directory (or a sub-directory)
- Backup and clear the Tomcat/logs directory.
- Place the file in the <MidtierInstallDir>/WEB-INF/classes/
- Shutdown the Midtier service.
- Restart the Midtier service
User level API logging will appear as for Eg: UserARServer_arapires.log . Usually the MidtierService user log will also be needed. [A similar procedure can be used for other 8.1 SP2 API clients (email, approval, plugin server, Devstudio) ]
Remotely installing or upgrading Email Engine on Microsoft Windows
Follow these two steps first, if you are creating a service where the Email Engine form and arx data is not present:
- Import the AR_Email_Workflow.def file located in the AREmail folder using BMC Remedy Developer Studio.
- Import the approval_templates.arx file located in the AREmail folder using the BMC Remedy Data Import tool.
After following the above steps, continue with the steps given below.
Continue reading Remedy 8.1 Installation
$ pargs 1149
1149: /usr/java/bin/java -server -Xmx128m
argv: /usr/java/bin/java Continue reading Using the pargs command to find out what a process is
The ‘arsignal‘ utility is used to send signals to the arserver. The ‘arsignald‘ is a new daemon process introduced in 7.5 to help manage communication between servers in a server group.
Continue reading What is ARSIGNAL utility?
This is as designed in order to protect the base forms from any modifications. The use of overlays is the method of updating and deleting fields. The following workaround will allow you to update fields by using the driver utility.
Continue reading Unable to import changes using DevStudio 7.6.04
You must use Visual Studio .NET 2003 with AR System 7.6.03 and earlier for compiled API’s and ODBC programs. This is because BMC R&D uses VS 2003 as their compiler platform. Note: this is true for 32-bit AR Servers. The 7.6.03 64-bit AR Server requires VS .NET 2008. Continue reading 7.6.03 and earlier C# API (including ARODBC)
Copying from Windows to a network share:
From a command prompt use the following command: COPY <source file> <destination location> /B /Z
Be sure to use COPY, not XCOPY. I’ve yet to get xcopy to restart. The /Z will allow you to re-issue the command if it gets interrupted. When you do this, you will be asked if you want to over write the existing file. Say yes, and it will pick up where it left off. I’ve copied several 4GB files in this manner and either dropped the VPN connection or interrupted the transfer using Ctrl-C. Every file eventually completed successfully and produced the same CRC32 values as the original. I like to use hashcalc for compute CRC32 values of the file before and after I copy it. This verifies the integrity of the file. Be sure to run hashcalc local to the file. Continue reading Downloading Files